Waka Ama

Just this Wednesday, My class and some others from room 7 went to the Manukau Outrigger Canoe Club. We took a bus there during the morning. Once we arrived, we went to where they stored the canoes. A lady from the club taught us the basics, like how to paddle properly and how to turn and go backwards in the canoe. Each canoe had six seats. Seats 1 and 2 at the front were the leaders, they guided the canoe and they were also in charge of turning. Seats 3 and 4 were the engines. As the name suggests, they were in charge of propelling the canoe forward. I was in seat 3. Seats 5 and 6 were there to provide support. The smaller people sat in 5 and 6. The canoes were connected, so we traveled in groups of 12. At first we paddled casually, practicing what we had learnt from earlier. We had to be in sync if we wanted to go fast. After 10 or so minutes we raced with the other group. They won but just barely. Then we had a race with just our hands as paddles. We completely destroyed them but it was super tiring. My hands were bruised and bleeding by the end. Once the canoes were back on land we put them on some wheels and pushed them up a hill and into a hangar. I had a quick shower and a snack before we went back to school. I had fun, it was tiring, but a lot of fun.